Tempo and interval runnning
A confession: I love tempo and interval training.
You may think this girl is a little loco… But really, I am not. 🙂
It brings such a variety to my running and has actually made me run further. The other day I went to the gym to do 3 miles of tempo running and ended up running 6 miles again… (I am starting to see a pattern…). Not loco!
Because I like tempo and interval runs so much I am sharing with you my Top 5 taken from a variety of sources including Runner’s World and my Team in Training coach:
- straights and curves – easily my favorite. Run on a track: 5k pace on the straights and a little slower on the curves (or 100 meter 5k pace / 100 meter slower if you don’t have access to a track).
- long tempo countdown – I did a variation of this one the other day and loved it. 4 miles @ 15 minutes slower than race pace, then 3 miles @ race pace, 2 miles a little faster than race pace, then 1 miles with all you have got left.
- ladder – 400 meter – 600-800-1000-800-600-400 all at a little faster than 5k pace with 200 meter rest in-between.
- bannister – 10x400meter at mile race pace with 90 seconds rest.
- power hills – 12×30 seconds uphill sprint. Jog down for recovery. Or check out the hill blaster for treadmills.
I will be doing a lazy run today, going to visit the palm trees. 🙂